Monday, July 14, 2014

Monterrey Chicken

     One thing that I always have in the freezer is boneless chicken breast.  Not only is this protein super versatile, super sturdy, but it also goes on sale pretty frequently.  I also just discovered the meat section at Sam's Club!  I honestly don't have a membership card, but I can piggy back off of my dad's :) Whenever I need chicken, wine, beer, or classroom supplies, I plan a family trip to Sam's.
     Although I absolutely love cooking and eating chicken, it sometimes becomes routine and boring.  Some of my favorite chicken recipes are Low Calorie Chicken and Cheese, Simple Chicken Salad, and Chicken Fried Rice.  Check them out!
     Today's post is something to kick up the mundane chicken dinner.  It's easy to do and really gives this protein a lovely southwest flavor.  I found this original recipe on "All Things Simple."  Enjoy!

Monterrey Chicken
Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/8 c. barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's original)
1/8 c. real bacon bits
1/2 c. colby and jack cheese, shredded
7 oz. can (or half of 1 14 oz. can) Rotel tomatoes, drained (If you don't want the spice, substitute for canned, diced tomatoes)
Marinade: 1/8 c. olive oil, 1 T. soy sauce, 1 tsp. McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning


Directions:

Marinade your thawed chicken in a freezer bag.  I usually let this sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  The longer it sits, the saltier it gets.  Keep that in mind.  Now, here you have a choice.  You can even pan sear, bake, or grill your chicken breast.  I usually grill if I have a little time to sit outside (also depends on the weather).  I have also baked the chicken in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  I prefer to under-cook the meat a little bit since it's going back in the oven with all of the toppings.  This is up to you and whatever you are comfortable with!




Let the chicken rest for a minute, to cool (just enough to handle) and trap in the yummy fluids created during cooking.  Now top each chicken breast with barbecue sauce, tomatoes, bacon bits, and cheese.  Place the yummy goodness back into the oven (or if you grilled, into a 400 degree preheated oven) for about 5 minutes.  The cheese should be nice and melty!  Serve hot and with your favorite sides and veggies!




No comments:

Post a Comment