Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Simple Chicken Salad

     Have you ever thawed chicken breast and then not need to cook it??  Or how about, needed two breasts but the package has three left and you don't want just one frozen piece of chicken??  Both of these things happen to me ALL THE TIME!!!  One particular night last week, I was planning baked chicken.  I got ready to thaw the meat and realized that the end of my package had two healthy chicken breasts and one runt.  Well, I knew that just the one wasn't going to make a meal by itself and the other two could hold there own for that night's meal.  I decided just to thaw all of them and bake the little guy with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Now, that cooked chicken breast sat in the fridge for a couple of days as I brooded over what to make.
     Finally I decided on chicken salad.  For me (I've never made my own chicken salad until now), there's a love/hate relationship with this dish.  I had some really good chicken salad and I've had some really bad chicken salad.  Most restaurants, delis, etc like to overload the salad with extra things like nuts, fruit, sauces, whatever.  I prefer a simple chicken salad where the chicken is the main flavor.  Now don't get me wrong, I will top my salad with fresh veggies and nuts but I want to the base to be good old fashioned chicken!
     Here's the recipe I came up with and it's pretty good, if I say so myself!  I chose to make wraps with banana peppers and tomatoes this time but I look forward to recreating this recipe.  I'm also excited to play with the flavors of the chicken salad...of course, holding true to the simple base.  I now purposefully cook extra chicken to have on hand :)



Simple Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
1 cooked chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/4 cup mayo (I use light mayo)
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard (other mustards will work as well...yellow, spicy brown, dijon)
4-5 shakes of hot sauce



Directions:
Chop chicken into to small pieces and place into a bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.  It's that simple!  This salad is great in a wrap (as pictured), piled high on some baby spinach with other fresh diced veggies, in between two pieces of bread, or on top of crackers as a light lunch.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment