Monday, October 21, 2013

Super Easy Chicken Fried Rice

     Every now and then, I get a Chinese food craving!  Who doesn't?  But ordering take-out is not on the weekday meal plan.  I found this quick and simple chicken fried rice recipe from iowagirleats.com.  She calls it the "take out fake out" and it's just that!  I do some things a little different, so I added my notes in italics.

Ingredients:
2 cups prepared rice (I use whole grain brown rice)
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper (I use two chicken breast cut into strips)
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 green onions, chopped (omitted)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg (omitted)
3 teaspoons sesame or wok oil, divided (I use canola oil)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
Add two tablespoons preservative free stir fry sauce
Directions:
  1. Whisk egg with 1 teaspoon oil in a small dish then set aside.  (I don't use egg...so skip this step)
  2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned chicken then stir fry until cooked through and remove to a plate. (Toss chicken in stir fry sauce while it's warm)
  3. Heat remaining teaspoon oil in the wok then add frozen mixed vegetables and green onions. (I leave out green onions) Stir fry until tender, about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Push vegetables to the side of the wok then add egg and sesame oil mixture into the center and scramble.  (I leave out egg)
  4. Add cooked chicken, rice, and soy sauce to wok then toss well to combine.  (I combine rice to vegetables and top with chicken in the serving bowl)


No comments:

Post a Comment