Monday, October 14, 2013

Curried Rice with Shrimp

     I have officially decided that shrimp is one of my new favorite main courses.  I was never really a seafood eater growing up but as I've started cooking healthier, shrimp is a tasty and easy option. :)  This recipe originally came from RealSimple.com.  I usually pair this dish with a roasted vegetable.  This week it was roasted broccoli.  Yummy!


Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes.
  3. Add the rice, 2½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
  4. Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle them in the partially cooked rice. Cover and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in the basil.


     As you can see, the recipe is very simple.  It's so delicious and just the right amount of heat.  I'm sure the base recipe will work with other proteins as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment