Saturday, April 26, 2014

Easy and Delicious Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

     One vegetable that has always eluded me is the Brussels sprout.  I have ordered them from restaurants and most times it's hit or miss.  I have found that sprouts have a weird consistency and, if not cooked and seasoned properly, they are very bland.  I have always seen them at the grocery store but never had the courage to buy them.  I finally took the plunge!  I found this recipe on Mom's Test Kitchen and decided to give it a shot.  It turned out pretty good!  I'm still not completely sold on the vegetable but I have made the effort to buy and cook these more often.  Enjoy!

Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
4 slices of turkey bacon, diced
2 cups of fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in half
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of canola oil
1/2 medium shallot, small diced

Directions:
In  a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add bacon and shallots and cook until shallots are soft and translucent.  The bacon will continue to cook throughout the rest of this process so do not worry! 
Add the halved sprouts to the pan.  Spread them out so that they are in one layer.  Add the butter and maple syrup.  Cover the skillet with a lid and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.  The bacon will crisp up and the sprouts will soften.

*** Picture Update!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment