Saturday, December 7, 2013

Huevos Rancheros

[Apparently every kitchen post starts the same and I need to change the name of my blog to "Everybody loves..." lol.  But I can't think of anything else to open with right this second!  So here it goes.]

    Everybody loves EGGS!  Or at least they should.  :)  I personally could eggs for every single meal and not think twice.  I found this recipe for huevos rancheros on bevcooks.com and wanted to try it one night for dinner.  So in my quest for healthier cooking and eating, I did some research on the ole egg to justify this meal. I found out that eggs are a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, and are also a great source of low calorie protein.  They also help in weight loss and have been found to prevent breast cancer (source: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/eggs).  Therefore, I can eat as many eggs as I want, right? ;)
     This particular recipe was very easy and delicious.  The only thing I will do differently next time would be to fix the tortilla part.  Maybe I didn't cook it long enough, but we found it to be useless.  The meal just turned into a runny egg salsa scramble.  Don't get me wrong, it was very tasty.  Next time I'm going to do more of a fry on the tortilla so that it'll be crispy.
     Below is the original recipe with my notes in italics.  Enjoy!

Huevos Rancheros (1 serving)
Ingredients:
* about 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided (For the frying method, you will need more)
* 2 corn tortillas (I used one medium soft taco flour tortilla)
* 1/2 cup black beans (from a can, drained and rinsed)
* 1 clove garlic
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 2 Tbs. salsa 
* 2 eggs
* 1 Tbs. sour cream
* fresh cilantro, for garnish, optional
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
In a mini food processor, add the beans, garlic, cumin, chili powder, a tsp of oil and a small pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz until you get a puree. Transfer to a small sauce pan and set it on a low heat. Stir (or press around) the mixture until it’s heated through. Remove from heat.  (This by itself would make a great black bean dip!  We actually ate the leftovers with wheat thin crackers the next day.)
Put a small skillet over the heated burner and add the tiniest bit of oil. Lightly fry (it’s almost toasting really) each tortilla until slightly browned and bubbly. Transfer to a plate.  (Again, in the future, I'm going to add more oil and fry my tortilla.  This will make it crispy!  This part is completely up to you.)
Add a tsp of oil (or a little more) to the skillet and crack your first egg in. If you want to use a bigger skillet and just fry both eggs at the same time.  Continue to fry the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
In the meantime, spread the bean mixture over each tortilla, followed by the salsa. Then top each with an egg. Dollop with a little more salsa, fresh cilantro sprigs and a good grind of black pepper.  (Since I used a larger tortilla, I put both eggs on it.)
Serve with lime wedges and sour cream!






No comments:

Post a Comment