Thursday, December 19, 2013

Birthday Special:The Breakfast Dog

      This month has been a very exciting month!  Not only do we have Christmas, holiday vacation from school, my sister's birthday, and Tory's birthday....we got ENGAGED!  Eeeeekkkkk!  This, of course, has nothing to do with this blog post, but oh well.  I'll be posting some wedding planning things as the experiences happen.  I've honestly already found a lot of help in other's wedding-related posts.  So I'll share my stuff too!
Me and my hubby-to-be!

     Anyways :)  Back to the post at hand!  This past Monday, Tory celebrated his birthday.  So instead of going out to dinner (my family had already taken everybody to celebrate), I decided to be creative a cook a new and special meal.  I do believe that it has become a new tradition!  The original recipe for the Breakfast Dog can be found at pinkpistachio.com along with some other hotdog variations.  They all look amazing!

Breakfast Dog
Ingredients:
hotdog buns (I used whole wheat by Nature's Own)
hotdogs (I used turkey hotdogs)
egg
shredded, frozen country hash browns
ketchup
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Directions:
Cook hash browns according to package.  Mine said to fry in a skillet using a couple tablespoons of oil until golden brown.  Lay them out onto a paper towel to soak up excess oil and sprinkle with salt.

Toast your hotdog buns.  Cook your hotdogs.  Tory worked the grill for this step!  You could just use your oven.  

Fry one (or two) eggs over-medium for each hotdog.  I use a little bit of canola oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Now assemble!  Bun first with a squirt of ketchup.  Then a layer of hash browns (I put more ketchup after this step on mine!).  Then your hotdog.  Finally, top with your runny egg.  And eat!  This is going to be messy!

That's a good lookin' dog!  I served this with a side of Family Recipe Baked Beans (recipe below).

Family Recipe Baked Beans: (This recipe is courtesy of Tory's mom!  So easy and so delicious!)
Ingredients:
1 can of Bush's original baked beans
1 heaping tablespoon each light brown sugar, ketchup, yellow mustard, honey, and maple syrup.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a baking dish, mix everything together.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until everything is bubbly!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment