Saturday, September 14, 2013

Swiss and Asparagus Pasta...updated 9.16.2013

     I am a huge pasta lover!  I could eat spaghetti every day.  I love lots of cheese and lots of sauce!  Unfortunately spaghetti and many other pasta dishes are not the healthiest.  I have been experimenting with different dishes...switching to whole wheat or veggie pasta, making low fat sauces, and substituting fatty meats with lean meat and/or vegetables.  The sun-dried tomato and spinach pasta (in my "Meatless Meals" post) was a hard competitor, but I think this Taste of Home recipe holds it own!

Swiss and Asparagus Pasta (makes 5 servings)
Ingredients: 6 ounces of angel hair pasta ...I use whole grain rigatoni or ziti
1/2 pound of fresh asparagus, cut into one inch segments
1/4 pound of fresh mushrooms ...one full drained jar of mushrooms works also
1/2 teaspoon of chives
1 1/2 tablespoon of butter ...I use Smart Balance Light with canola oil
1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt-free seasoning blend ...see below**
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup plus a splash of milk ...I use fat free
3 ounces shredded Swiss cheese ...I use 3 wedges of Laughing Cow light Swiss
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional ...Not optional in my house :)

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
  2. In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and chives in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, seasoning blend and salt; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the Swiss cheese; cook and stir until melted.
  3. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. Add asparagus and cheese sauce; toss to coat. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired
     This recipe is pretty easy...the hardest part is making the sauce.  It's so worth the extra steps for lower calorie, delicious, cheesy sauce!  We always have leftovers that are prefect for next week lunch options.  Enjoy!



***Update!***
     Well I put see below next to salt-free seasoning and then forgot to add the "below" (lol).  I actually did not have any salt-free seasoning blend so I simply added a sprinkle of each: basil, oregano, garlic powder, parsley, cayenne, and black pepper.  All are dried spices.  It came out perfect, but use salt-free seasoning if you have it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment