Sunday, September 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Philly Cheese-steaks

     With football season, comes football food and while I love wings and pizza just as much as the next guy, sometimes I'm looking for something different.  With all of the games going throughout the day, I also don't want to spend the day in the kitchen.  I found this recipe on foodfamilyfinds.com.  This is perfect for a football day for 3 reasons: it's a sandwich, the slow cooker does all of the work, and it's cheap and easy for feeding a group of people.
     The recipe called for chicken but I went ahead and used one pound flank steak.  Another addition I made was adding mayo to the bread underneath the meat and veggies.  This really helped with keeping the cheese steak moist.  I also broiled the assembled sandwich in the oven for about five minutes to toast the hoagie roll and melt the cheese.  They turned out really good!  One sandwich was completely satisfying for me and my boyfriend.  The recipe will make about 4 cheese steaks, so we have leftovers!
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large sweet onion, sliced
  • 2 green bell peppers, sliced
  • 3 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons Dale’s Steak Seasoning
  • sliced Mozzarella cheese
  • hoagie rolls

Instructions
  1. Spray a 3 – 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and turn to LOW heat.
  2. Add butter, onions and green peppers.
  3. Toss chicken with steak seasoning, salt and pepper, then add to slow cooker.
  4. Cover and cook for 5 hours.
  5. Serve on hoagies with a slice of cheese melted on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment