Monday, September 16, 2013

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

   Mondays are very hectic and exhausting in our house...especially during football season!  I've been testing out some slow cooker recipes to help alleviate the cooking work I have to do when I get home.  Tonight we tried a jambalaya recipe I found on plainchicken.com.  It was amazing!  It was perfectly filling, spicy, and savory!  I will definitely be making this when the weather gets nice and cold...
   The original recipe called for turkey sausage and chicken.  I only used the sausage (I forgot to thaw the chicken :/).  It turned out amazingly!  I do want to try this recipe with shrimp and turkey sausage next time.  I really think that any protein would be delicious.

Slow Cooker Jambalaya
Ingredients:
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes...I left this out!
1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced 
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
3 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 tsp minced garlic
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning...I left this out (I definitely didn't miss the heat!)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup rice (uncooked measurement)...I used brown rice.

In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.  I did this and put it in the refrigerator before I left for work.




Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Mix in cooked rice cook for about 15 minutes to warm through.   Because I left out the raw chicken, I cooked on high for about 2 hours before adding the cooked rice.


1 comment: