Saturday, November 30, 2013

Two-Ingredient Cake and Tortellini Pasta Salad


     Whenever I'm invited over to someone's house for dinner, I like to bring something.  Nothing crazy but something to participate in the meal.  Every year for Thanksgiving, we go to Tory's grandma's house.  This year I brought my Super Saltines (look under "in the kitchen" for the recipe!), pasta salad, and pumpkin cake.  I really tried to make some healthier options to offset all of the other extra delicious and fattening foods.  Let's just say I got an "A" in my attempt to be healthy this holiday effort :).  These recipes are great for everyday meals as well.

Two-Ingredient Cakes
Ingredients:
Spice Cake mix
Can of pumpkin puree

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the two ingredients together using a hand mixer.  The batter will be very thick!  Spread into a greased 9x13 baking dish.  Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.  To check, I stick a knife in the center.  If it pulls out clean and with no problem, it's done!  Let the cake cool before transferring or cutting.  You could make an icing or simply flurry with powdered sugar.  I left mine plain and they were still excellent!

I have also made a blueberry cake with the "two-ingredient trick."  Mix Angel Food cake mix and a can of blueberry pie filling.  I did the same oven temperature and baking time.  Very delicious!  I want to try some other combinations.  This is a great alternative to sugary calorie-filled sweets.  It's also very easy!



Tortellini Pasta Salad (the original recipe is found at bettycrocker.com)
Ingredients:
1 tablespoons of canola or olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, dried parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1/2 box of grape tomatoes, halved
1 9 oz. package of tortellini

Directions:
With this recipe, it's fun to play with the colors of your veggies and the filling of your pasta.  For today's pasta salad, I used a yellow pepper and chicken and prosciutto tortellini.  Any kind and color works the same.
First, cook the pasta according to the package directions.  While that's going, heat oil in a saute pan.  Cook peppers until tender, about 3-4 minutes.  Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, and seasonings.  Cook another 3-4 minutes, so that all vegetables are tender and warmed through.  Combine vegetables and pasta.  Viola!  Easy and tasty, every time :).



No comments:

Post a Comment