Sunday, November 24, 2013

Reader's Response letters

   Since my school has had issues with overall reading gains, the "Million Word" campaign and monthly reading goals have been the focus of our work.  As primary teachers, we always push our students towards reading success.  In an effort to track and motivate my students to independently read, I tried out several reader's response templates.
     At first, I had a simple book log and reader's response journal.  In the response log, student completed one question or activity per book read.  Each one focused on a different strategy or reading skill (visualizing, summarizing, compare and contrast, etc. )  I actually found that this was not rigorous enough for my third graders.  Some of my more advanced readers could finish the whole packet in a week or two.  I've attached the journal document I created if you would like to see and/or tweak for your classroom!

Reader's Response Journal

     As I was talking with another teacher, she shared a response letter that she had used in the past.  It is amazing!  Students read independently (a book on their level).  When they have finished, they write a friendly letter to me or my co-teacher.  They have a list of suggested response topic to choose from.  I've attached this topic list below.  I'm not sure where she got these from or if she created them, but it works perfectly and allows students to choose what they want to share about their reading.

Suggested Response Topics

  I also created a rubric to post for my readers to follow.  This is attached.  If they earn at least 3/4 points, based on this rubric, students receive a sticker.  After five reading response stickers, my third graders win a Book It! pizza coupon!  Although this program/routine got a slow start, the reading has really picked up!  My students really like to write the letters and ask all day long if they can work on them.

Response Rubric



No comments:

Post a Comment