Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

     In 2012, a great movie titled "Life of Pi" came out in theaters.  I went and saw the film and was immediately blown away with the story, theme, and imagery caught on camera.  I had heard of the classic novel but never had a chance to read.  After seeing the movie, many conversations comparing and contrasting the film and book left me wondering.  Should I read the book now, after seeing the movie?  Should I chalk this novel up to "already been watched?"  I decided to try it out.  If I couldn't get into after the first few chapters, I could at least say I gave the effort.  Therefore, I went into this book a little skeptical.  Don't get me wrong, the movie was amazing and I will watch it again and again.  But the book....after being [ruined] by the movie?  I wasn't so sure....
   As soon as I brought this book home from the library, I started reading.  From the very first chapter, I was hooked!  As always, book-made-movies can never fully portray what the original author has written.  Luckily, Life of Pi (in my opinion) came pretty darn close!  The novel's imagery made it very easy to get lost in this story.  I felt like I was shipwrecked with Pi!
     I also loved the narrative structure of Yann Martel's fantasy adventure.  Throughout the novel, Pi (as the main character) and Yann Martel himself (as a visiting author years later) tell this amazing story with alternating points of view.  This really brings the plot to life and creates a realistic versus fantasy juxtaposition.  I could not put it down!
     With these two narrators, I was really curious how the author would bring the novel to a close.  A lot of times, great books fall apart towards the end.  With such an intricate story line, the closing was either going to be outstanding or completely underwhelming.  The end is just perfect!  The reader is left to decide whether or not to believe Pi's whimsical story.
     If you have not read this book (even if you have seen the movie), it is a must-read!  You will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment