Monday, November 10, 2014

Bad Case of the Stripes

     Each year, I try to incorporate some character education within my reading and writing curriculum.  I feel that it's a lost subject in today's high-rigor schools.  What I do is very simple and takes maybe 20 minutes every couple of weeks (the goal is twice a month but sometimes that just doesn't happen).  I find a read aloud that has a message; sometimes these are broad, other times I target misbehavior occurring within the classroom (bullying, stealing, tattle-telling, etc.).  After reading and discussing, I plan a simple activity to post in the room and then send home.  We refer back to this activities if needed.  It's amazing ho powerful these little things are and it really builds a strong classroom community!
     This particular activity is great for the beginning of the year.  It's a read aloud of David Shannon's Bad Case of the Stripes.  The moral of this story is to be yourself no matter what the people around you are doing.  This is a well-loved story and the kids really get into it!  I've found that if the teacher is 100% invested, the kids will by-in quickly and the activity will stick.  I completed this activity a month or so ago and my third graders still say things like, "Remember that Camilla was scared at first" or "Don't forget to be yourself even if you really do like lima beans."  It's awesome!
     After reading, I had the kids write about a time they had to "be themselves" even though it was against what other's were doing.  I went around and took each student's picture (just a head shot).  I printed them out in black and white.  The kids, then, gave themselves dots, stripes, spots, etc.  We created a bulletin board with a quote from the story.
     I loved teaching this activity and I loved watching my class learn and grow as whole children!  I will definitely continue planning these activities, no matter how crazy busy our schedules get.  Look for more updates :)



"When Camilla stops trying to please everyone else and isn't afraid to be who she really is, her bad case of stripes goes away."

No comments:

Post a Comment